Friday, February 29, 2008

There are no Strangers in Heaven

There are no strangers in heaven.

Has anyone ever asked you to describe what you think heaven may look like? What is that image of heaven in your mind’s eye? Is it green and lush full of nature’s best offers? Or is it simply something else something abstract? Is it surely a place where the family is gathered for a reunion? Is it possible to imagine with our limited specifications what God has in store for our arrival? To be assured of your place in heaven is certainly serene but really what are your expectations beyond knowing you have booked your reservation? Do you think you will be seated in the main dining room? Maybe your thinking more like the table next to the kitchen or perhaps a crowded first come first serve booth at the end of the bar? If you have a name like Smith or Jones you may be compelled to call ahead a few extra times just to make sure your table is not given to someone else.

I have made the shameful comment “there are plenty of Christians that I would prefer not meet in heaven much less spend eternity along side." Although funny this type of logic is not really logic at all. It is merely an admission of the obvious void of a personal relationship with Christ. One of my closest friends indirectly introduced me to the concept of living with the end in mind. Beginning everyday with the intention that this life on earth is quickly coming to an end. It has given me a bit more motivation to draw near to him. As Paul says in 2nd Corinthians 4:17-18 “so we fix our eyes on not what is seen but what is unseen. What is seen is temporary and what is unseen is eternal. Does the ambiguity of the “unseen” frighten you? A mere week and a half ago I would have answered in the affirmative to the same. What has changed?

My encounter in Spain was vibrant to say the least. This discovery unfortunately I cannot take credit for. I didn’t pack it in my suitcase or tuck it neatly away in my carry on. It had been there all the while simply waiting on my arrival. All I had to do was humbly show up and claim it.
Before committing to join the team I understood that it was not possible for me to attend. There were just too many obstacles to overcome. If you are a fan of the Cohen brothers you may remember a line in the movie “O brother where art thou” it goes something like this: the prophet tells the three main characters that they will encounter many ob’stacles and that the treasure they seek will not be the one they find. Well I had many obstacles to overcome. I don’t have the time. I don’t have the money. I am not ready spiritually. I have nothing to offer. I don’t want to leave my comfort zone…that is code for my couch and quality time with my dog Beckham. Oh and do I want to burn my vacation time? After all vacation time is precious. Through the gently prodding and encouragement of my dear friend Steve Williams I decided to go against my natural inclination, which is trying to control everything and everyone. Simply I decided to leave all the obstacles up to God. And as for the treasure was concerned I thought I might be able to make a small deposit once over there. As I decided to step out in faith and let go of my control issues a funny thing happened; all the doors began to open and I was soon on my way to Spain. I told Carolyn our leader upon her asking me why I wanted to go that I really didn’t have an answer for her. I said I tried hard not to go and that I didn’t choose this trip but that it had chosen me. Or maybe God had?

When we showed up in Spain the Holy Spirit met us and it was palpable. The love displayed by our new friends in Sitges transcended language, age, race, wealth, cultural differences and so on. I am not sufficiently equipped to describe with words the Agape moments that were shared between us but I will tell you that there is no other reason but for Christ and a personal relationship with him that we were able to build the bonds and experience the communion of faith with those that were strangers living a third of the way around the world just one week earlier. My experience in Spain has led me to believe that beyond any doubt there are no strangers in heaven and it really doesn’t matter who greets you at the door when you get there and where you will be seated. In the communion of faith we all are invited in. All we have to do is show up and claim it. We went to Spain to serve and we did. I am certain that the treasure we received is in excess of anything left behind. I think that is the lesson for what God will have in store for us when we arrive in heaven. Isn’t that what he really wants from us? To show up humbly and willing to serve through our faith in him and to let him remove the obstacles in life?

Many thanks for all of your prayers and blessings. And to my team and my new found friends in Spain especially little Isaac…. Booyah-Kasha!!!

All my love


Michael Smith

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you the one that named his dog Beckhham?
Oh my gosh!
Luv ya'll
Tamar

seansmith said...

Great words Michael! I'm proud of you for allowing God to overcome those obstacles and sharing your faith in such a tangible way. I'm excited to see how God continues to use your gifts and where He sends you next.

A "pat on the back" to you and the rest of the team for a job well done.

God Bless,

sean

David Martínez said...

Hi brother,

Had never thought about what I expect heaven to be like but as long as the seven of you... and M.Frank, and D. Walker, and Jenny, and Scott and Jen, and Rob, and Richie Rich, and Rob, and Melanie, and Randy, and Crista, and D. Karger, and Julie, and Josh, and Katye, and Jim and someone else I'm sure I forget are there, the fun is guaranteed.

Love ya,

Dave