Thursday, May 28, 2009

While recovering from the jet lag of the return trip from Spain, I have been reflecting on how marvelous God is in allowing me to be a part of a team He ordained to carry His work and word to other parts of the world. This trip was my second to Vilanova/Sitges to work with the wonderful members of ICG. They have been like sponges, soaking up methods to grow and improve, and I have seen tremendous progress just from October 2008 to now. The willingness to try new things, even though it may seem to be contrary to their culture has been nothing short of amazing -- true "coninciGods" have abounded. Each member of this team had specific gifts and/or talents that were used in so many amazing ways. Each of us was approached by members of ICG during the week and on the retreat for discussions and questions. Every event, excursion, meal, and meeting included some level of discussion and prayer with ICG members. They gladly shared their country, heritage, and culture with us. The biggest change I witnessed was the willingness to openly share troubles and concerns, requesting prayer for trials they are facing, and to receive God's plan for their lives.
There are truly too many highlights to list, for fear of forgetting one or putting one in front of the other. Each and every day presented opportunities to serve and help. I also learned something every day from the people there.
One personal highlight, non-ICG related: During the trip to Barcelona in October 2008 for the prayer walk led by Loles, I encountered an older gentleman in a square, painting delicate and detailed scenes. I often lamented the fact I had not purchased one of those paintings and expressed hope to Loles and Samuel during this trip that I might encounter him again and this time to bring home a painting or two. After going into the Barcelona Cathedral for prayer, we were on a small, narrow street and began walking to our next station when I looked up and saw the man walking toward us!! I stopped him and got Samuel to translate for me to tell this story. He led us back to his square where many of the team bought paintings from him and learned he is 86 years old, and has been painting in this same spot for over 25 years. I will frame and mount these paintings, along with a marvelous photograph of him, to help me remember one portion of our trip.
The willingness of Samuel and Carmelo to spend time with us after just experiencing personal losses in the deaths of a close friend and a mother, were acts of such selflessness almost beyond my comprehension. They allowed us to share with them and to share with us of themselves.
I pray God will allow me to go back at some point to share and learn more with these wonderful people of His.
In Christ,
Bobby

No comments: